Connects is a new resource for care leavers to access offers and information. Once they are signed up we are able to match young people to meaningful opportunities and also to stay in touch with anyone who is supporting them into employment.

We send opportunities relevant to their interests and ambitions and automatically enter them to win prizes in our monthly give-aways!

Worried about Coronavirus?

As part of its pledge to the Care Leaver Covenant, LifeSkills created with Barclays has launched a new suite of adapted resources focused on developing care leavers’ financial capability. These 12 bite-sized activity packs have been co-created with personal advisors and care leavers, covering everything from bank accounts and payslips to borrowing and debt.

Tuckers Solicitors LLP are a Care Leaver Covenant friendly legal firm.  Tuckers have committed to engaging in advocacy for care leavers.  They are offering a package of support including legal representation and seminars offering practical guidance to care leavers and the professionals involved in supporting them to ensure a full awareness of legal rights.

Approx 75,000 children are in care in England

Young people leaving care are better prepared and supported to live independently

75% of cared-for children are fostered; the remaining 25% are in residential care

They have improved access to employment, education and training

A huge 40% of all care leavers aged 19-21yrs in England are not in employment, education or training

Care leavers experience stability in their lives and feel safe and secure

7% of children in care gain entry to university

Their access to health and emotional support is improved

20% of young homeless people have previously been in care

They can achieve financial stability

  • APPROX 70,000CHILDREN ARE IN CARE IN ENGLAND – Coram. 2018. Public attitudes to children in care results from a national survey. Can be found HERE.
  • A HUGE 40% OF ALL CARE LEAVERS AGED 19-21YRS IN ENGLAND ARE NOT IN EMPLOYMENT, EDUCATION OR TRAINING – DfE, National Statistics. 2017. Children looked after in England (including adoption), year ending 31 march 2017. Can be found HERE.
  • 75% OF CARED-FOR CHILDREN ARE FOSTERED; THE REMAINING 25% ARE IN RESIDENTIAL CARE. Narey, M and Owers, M 2018. Foster care in England. Review for the Department for Education. DfE. Can be found HERE.
  • ONLY 7% OF CHILDREN IN CARE GAIN ENTRY TO UNIVERSITY – DfE. 2012. Outcomes for Children Looked After by Local Authorities in England: as at 31March 2012. DfE;
    DfE. 2015. Children looked after in England (including adoption and care leavers) year ending 31 March 2015. DfE. Can be found HERE.
  • 20% OF YOUNG HOMELESS PEOPLE HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN IN CARE. Homeless link research team. 2018. Young and homeless 2018. Can be found HERE.
Share This

Share This

Share this page with your friends and colleagues!