At Action for Children, we believe that every child should have a safe and happy childhood, and the foundations they need to thrive. We make sure their voices are heard, and campaign to bring lasting change to their lives. Last year, we helped more than 670,000 children, young people and their families across the UK. We’re dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We’re proud to be a Care Leaver Friendly Employer – Gold Partner. Our promise and commitment spans across all our Nations covering England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, in every department in the organisation. We welcome applicants who have personal experience of the care system, for example applicants who were a looked after child or who had a social worker, lived with foster carers, or in a children’s home or with extended family members rather than their birth parents
We understand that life experience can be as important as qualifications or work experience in making someone suitable for a particular job role.
Applicant guide can be found here: AFC_CLC_ApplicantGuide
Recruiting for Potential
Care experienced employees bring diverse insight, personal experience and transferable skills to a team as well as being amazing advocates and role models for the children, young people and the families we work with. We are committed to creating a safe space and a diverse culture where this knowledge and experience is welcomed and championed.
If you have care experience, we provide extra support from when you apply for the job, and during your time working with us.
As part of this commitment, we:
- Work with the Care Leaver Covenant team to promote opportunities to the care leaver community through targeted means.
- Have advocates in the Recruitment and Children’s Services Teams who can support and guide care experienced people before, during and after the recruitment process.
- Offer a guaranteed interview and constructive feedback to applicants who identify as care experienced and who meet minimum criteria for the role.
- Assign a workplace buddy for our care experienced employees. A workplace buddy will be there for informal support, guidance and to help you settle in.
- Create and communicate clear boundaries and expectations for our care experienced employees. This will make sure your time with us is a growing and fulfilling one.
- Approach our care experienced employees’ professional challenges with compassion and empathy, recognising that there maybe, or have been, a high level of disruption in their personal life