Hugh Baird College is a further education College situated in Merseyside, England. It is one of the largest providers of education and training in the area, delivering over 300 courses to more than 5,000 students.
We Hugh Baird College will demonstrate our commitment to the care leaver covenant through the following actions:
- Giving care leavers priority status in decisions about access to services or support. Care leavers have access to the ICAP (Individual Costed Action Plan), which offers them the financial support while on their study programme.
- Making care leavers exempt from essential course costs and supporting them with essential uniform and kit, College meals and College trips.
- Ensuring each care leaver is allocated a Student Service Worker (Retention & Progression Co-ordinators) on entry to a study programme, who will support them until exit.
- Ensuring close partnerships and transparency of caseloads between RPCs and Study Programme Co-ordinators to monitor and identify ‘At Risk’ signs, and put appropriate support in place.
- Providing all students with opportunities to enter the world of work through work experience placements, and removing barriers to their progression.
- Providing care leavers with additional support through access to an allocated Student Services Worker, Counselling, Chaplaincy, Health & Wellbeing.
- Providing additional support to help meet the costs of living independently at a young age, such as help with rent through the Hardship Fund.
- Providing care leavers with opportunities to broaden their horizons through tailored ICAP support (which is managed at the discretion of a Student Services Worker, their single point of contact every time they need support), careers advice, equipment, and offering incentive bonuses to help them with living costs.