- Providing care experienced young people with opportunities to fulfil their potential and broaden their horizons, through our targeted programme of outreach activity. We provide opportunities for them to engage with a progressive and relevant programme of activity from Year 10-13. We are responsive to the particular needs of these students and will facilitate bespoke and one-to-one activity to support their progression where appropriate.
- Providing care leavers with additional and early support when applying to University through a dedicated support scheme including; a dedicated contact for support and advice during the application process; pre-entry access to careers guidance; the possibility of special consideration during the interview and admissions process; visits to the university; and, for applicants to certain courses, access to a workshop to help prepare them for interview
- Giving care leavers priority status, reassurance and security when applying to and staying in university allocated halls of residence through our 365 day accommodation guarantee; access to residential support co-ordinators; and moving in day support and guidance.
- Providing additional support to help meet the costs of living independently whilst studying. This includes our Care Leaver Bursary, plus priority access to other generous financial support schemes. We are also a founding partner of the Unite Foundation Scholarship which offers care leavers the chance to apply for free accommodation for 3 years of study. We also provide budgeting guidance and enhance this offer through links with the Students Union, who can provide additional support, guidance and advocacy.
- Providing care leavers with transition support, to facilitate their adjustment into university life through events which provide potential opportunities for more experienced and independent Care Leavers to meet new care leaver students.
- Providing care leavers with opportunities to experience new things, to enrich their university life and experiences. For example, through regular email newsletters to Care Leavers promoting opportunities and events throughout the year and social activities in the holidays.
- Providing care leavers with additional pastoral support throughout the student lifecycle with named advisers in key services who offer information and one-to-one support and guidance. These include The Student Funding Team, Careers and Employability and Student Wellbeing services.
- Ensuring care leavers experience a co-ordinated approach to pastoral support from central teams and faculties. This includes a joint commitment to respect the confidentiality and wishes of care leavers regarding support they wish to access.
- Providing care leavers with opportunities to experience and enter the world of work and build their personal development, through our care leaver ambassador roles, our Career Impact, Career Mentoring, Hallam Internship and GradVantage Programmes.
Through our partnerships and networks
- Provide care leavers with a network of support through key relationships with Local Authorities, charities, schools and colleges underpinned by Higher Education training and awareness raising.
- Raising awareness of the needs of care experienced students amongst current staff and students and consulting regularly with care leavers to inform development of our services.
- Fundraising for care leavers is a priority area through our Development & Alumni Relations Office. We will continue to raise funds from our alumni community, major donors and trusts & foundations to support care leaver students at SHU through philanthropy. We are committed to supporting our students financially throughout their student journey to ensure that care leaver students are not only supported, but are able to fully experience university life.