Featured Signatory Offer Details
Liverpool John Moores University
Through the John Lennon Imagine Awards scheme. Liverpool John Moores University will provide:
- A dedicated member of staff to provide information, advice and support on all aspects of student life to care-experienced students who are considering or currently studying at the University.
- Access to all-year round accommodation in an LJMU-partner hall (including providing support to care leavers who face difficulty in providing a deposit or guarantor to secure LJMU partner accommodation).
- Additional financial support through an annual, non-repayable bursary of £1,000 for each year of a student’s undergraduate course.
- A bespoke package of support to meet individual students’ needs including support with academic skills, liaising with academic departments and mentoring.
- Acting as an advocate or liaison with local authority Care Leaving teams to ensure joined-up and consistent approaches to support.
- Providing a range of bespoke aspiration and attainment-raising activities through the University’s Outreach team to looked after young people in local schools and colleges, including campus visits and mentoring;
- Supporting potential students to attend University Open Days and other admissions events through the dedicated member of staff for care leavers;
- Providing priority places for Looked After Young People at LJMU outreach events including the LJMU Summer University;
- Using contextual admissions data to inform potential offers made to care leavers applying to study at LJMU;
- Offering a priority interview for the Student Advocate role;
- Ensuring that Care Leavers have the opportunity to develop their academic skills through the University’s Academic Achievement team;
- Providing access to appropriate careers and work-related advice and guidance through the University’s Careers Team, including access to University internships and specific activities to prepare students for the world of work or further study, post-graduation;
To enhance delivery of this support, relevant staff will take part in appropriate training and development to update their knowledge and skills in relation to care-experienced young people.
Taking Up This Offer
This support can be accessed at any time through LJMU Student Advice and Wellbeing Services.
Contact Phil Bakstad on 0151 231 3149, by email at or using the online contact form.