Featured Signatory Offer Details
University of Bath
- All WP campus events are open to Looked After Students plus bespoke events can be arranged.
- A range of workshops and talks also on offer to schools across the South West region, delivered by the Be Ready team
- Offer attendance and Information, Advice & Guidance at Careers Fairs across the region
- Further details available on the website: www.bath.ac.uk/guides/in-school-presentations-and-workshops-and-support-for-careers-and-he-fairs/ and www.bath.ac.uk/guides/activities-for-secondary-schools/
Admissions Progression Team:
- Dedicated e-mail address and team within Undergraduate Admissions for Care Leavers to gain bespoke advice about applying to Bath and support with the UCAS application process.
- Care Leaver status is taken into careful consideration as part of our contextual admissions process.
- Care leavers are shown flexibility at the offer-making and results-confirming stages, and their applications are given thorough and individualised consideration from our Admissions Progression Team.
- Mitigating circumstances form available for applicants including care leavers, to complete to make sure that we are aware of and take into consideration any disruption to study.
- If a Care Leaver receives an offer from Bath, their offer is followed by an e-mail with information about support from our Admissions Progression Team and also information about the support available to our current students who have progressed from a Care Leaver background.
- Applicant travel bursary in order to refund the travel costs to an undergraduate interview or Applicant Visit Day up to a maximum £100.
UK undergraduate students who are Care Leavers can access:
- A non-repayable bursary of £1,000 per academic year plus £1,000 to help with start-up costs and a further £1,000 on graduation – a maximum of £7,000 over a 5-year programme including placement.
- Eligibility for the University’s Bath Bursary (currently £3,000 per academic
- year) or Gold Scholarship (currently £5,000 per academic year).
- Access to live in University student accommodation for 365 days a year for the duration of their course.
- A single named contact within the Student Services team who will provide specialist advice on their circumstances and transition, and provide advice & guidance throughout their time at Bath, including referrals to internal services for additional support, e.g. Accommodation, Careers, Academic Skills, Disability, Wellbeing, and Counselling & Mental Health. This includes a minimum of two check-in meetings per year to discuss progression and specialist input as required.
- Acting as an advocate or liaison with local authority Leaving Care teams to ensure joined-up and consistent approaches to support.
- Signposting to external organisations for specialist advice & guidance.
- Access to a Peer Mentor, a returning student to assist with 1st year transition to university and course.
- Opportunities to feedback and help develop the University’s support package for care
- leavers, including focus groups.
- Distribute information to staff across the University on how best to support care leavers.
- University has NNECL membership and staff engage with conferences and training in order to maintain best practice in relation to support care leavers.
- Signposted specific internships and placements that are Care Leaver eligible.
- Ongoing post-graduation Careers advice and support.
- Support in accessing Bath-specific networks of graduates and employers.
Taking Up This Offer
If you are interested you must complete an application form for the Care Leaver Bursary and evidence must be in the form of an original letter showing care leaver status from your Local Authority.