Featured Signatory Offer Details
University of Leicester
How we’ve come to collaborate with leading care leaver charities and other voluntary organisations across the country. Organisations that sign up to the Covenant make ‘offers’ of support relating to education, employment, training, housing, security, health, financial...
Tottenham Hotspur Foundation, in partnership with Haringey Young Adults Service, is offering a series of ‘independent living workshops’ to prepare care leavers for life as tenants. Tottenham Hotspur Foundation Since 2006, Tottenham Hotspur Foundation has been the...
St Basils promotes best practice in leaving care and offers a range of services to help care leavers with accommodation, skills training, housing crisis management and personal-and-social development. Background St Basils is the largest agency in the West Midlands...
ENGIE contacted job centres, local schools & colleges in the Stockport area where we are working on Elisabeth Gardens to work collaboratively with Engie on a number of initiatives.
This film is brought to you by LifeSkills created with Barclays, in conjunction with City of Wolverhampton Children and Young People’s Service.
This is a short animation which depicts the care journey of our first Care Leaver Covenant ambassador. Told through Ryan’s eyes, this narrative charts his route through care, detailing some of his difficulties – the ups and downs, but also what it means to have a...
Pure Insight is a charity, working alongside leaving care teams in Stockport, Trafford and Cheshire East, to provide networking, mentoring, parental support, mental-health support, and a range of other support services for care leavers. BackgroundPure Insight was...
Partners Barnardo’s and Saint-Gobain, supported by Barking & Dagenham College and Phoenix Housing, are offering care leavers a ‘dry-lining’ traineeship programme to help fill skills gaps for construction employers. BackgroundBarnardo’s is the UK’s...
Kier is working with employers in its supply chain, local authorities and charities to provide training and work experience for care leavers, ex-offenders and other under-represented groups in order to fill local, construction-industry skills gaps across the country....
A partnership of 12 colleges and universities in West Yorkshire that offers enhanced support and various programmes to care leavers on their 'student journey' from school to higher education and into work. The PartnershipGo Higher West Yorkshire (GHWY) is a regional...
Offering Care Leavers access to 365 day university accommodation, discreet reassurance and pastoral support from a student Residential Advisor.
We, the University of Leicester, will demonstrate our commitment to the care leaver covenant through the following actions:
• Providing a range of inspiring outreach opportunities specifically for care experienced young people from Year 5 through to ager 25 to raise aspirations to Higher Education and broaden horizons, improve self-confidence and increase motivation in their current studies. We offer both group activities such as University Discovery Days and a University Experience Summer School and will also facilitate individual sessions for young people where appropriate, working closely with local Authority Virtual Schools, colleges and other organisations to target and select students effectively.
• Supporting care experienced young people to reach their full academic potential and receive high quality, relevant pre-entry information, advice and guidance. Through inclusion in the University’s two year compact schemes, including Realising Opportunities, LEAP Leicester Enhanced Access programme, MedLEAP and Pathways to Law, students will receive support in areas including independent learning, team working, academic research and writing, university admissions processes and careers planning as well as further developing key personal skills, self-confidence and a positive mental attitude. Care Leavers are also a key priority group for recruitment to our Medicine Foundation year course.
• Providing a named contact in the Student Welfare Service, who can offer Care Leavers and their supporters pre and post entry advice and guidance including finance, accommodation and transitional support, plus signposting to other internal and external support services and on-course support. The Widening Participation team is also responsible for development of outreach provision, development of institutional provision and supporting implementation processes, network development, pre-entry information and student engagement and success. Information and designated Contacts will be visible on the relevant section of the University website and included in national directories such as propel.org.uk
• Providing enhanced financial support for Care Leavers, including a specific University of Leicester bursary for which Care Leavers are a priority recipient group for each year of undergraduate study (currently £2000 per year). Undergraduate Care Leavers are also a priority group within the University’s Hardship Fund and Vacation award fund and are pro-actively contacted about these and other avenues of additional financial support by the Student Welfare Service.
• Offering Care Leavers access to 365 day university accommodation and offering discreet reassurance and pastoral support from a student Residential Advisor in their accommodation site on request.
• Supporting transitions into university and encouraging a sense of belonging by providing new Care Leaver students with the opportunity to request a peer support mentor for the duration of their first year. We will also develop improved guidance on supporting Care Leaver students for Personal Tutors, departmental support staff and central services teams and raise awareness of more specific issues Care Leaver students may face during their university journey.
• Enabling Care Leaver students to actively participate in their career development journey and personal and professional development. Care Leaver students are pro-actively targeted for the University’s OnTrack scheme which provides them with an enhanced programme of skills and personal development sessions, careers and employability advice and access to additional financial support i.e. interview travel costs and work experience opportunities. Care Leavers are also encouraged apply to become a Leicester Ambassador, a role which further enriches their university experience and sense of belonging.
• Empowering individuals and organisations working with young people in care to support them in their educational development and success. We will continue to work with a range of key stakeholders and organisations, including Local Authorities, schools, colleges and the voluntary sector to develop opportunities to engage effectively with care experienced young people and their supporters and provide Higher Education training and awareness raising events for professionals, foster carers and volunteers.
Taking Up This Offer
For more information: www2.le.ac.uk/offices/welfare/care-leavers