Featured Signatory Offer Details
University of Surrey
The University of Surrey defines a care leaver as any young person who has been in Local authority care for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14.
- The University of Surrey’s outreach team runs the secondary school programme. Through this the team works with under-represented students in years 5 – 11 from local primary and secondary schools through a sustained progressive programme of education information and guidance and subject-specific activities
Care Leavers are guaranteed places on the following schemes:
- The Year 10 “Catastrophe on Campus” Programme, Catastrophe on Campus is the University’s sustained engagement programme for Year 10 students.
- The year 12 Taster Days are subject-specific taster days to help sixth form and college students to get to grips with a subject at undergraduate level.
- A year 12 residential summer school programme which offer students the chance to experience studying a subject at university.
The Outreach team also coordinate the In2Surrey scheme, which is the University of Surrey’s access scheme. This is designed to support eligible students to achieve their goal of studying at the University of Surrey by offering the following benefits:
- A reduction in entry requirements, equivalent to one A-level grade lower*
- A scholarship
- Access to an E-Mentor (a current undergraduate student)
- Invitations to exclusive events that will support your transition to and through university.
- A link to the In2surrey scheme can be found here- www.surrey.ac.uk/schools-colleges/in2surrey
Current support available
- Care Leavers receive a welcome pack on moving in day. A point of contact is also available for students on moving in day.
- The University of Surrey has a dedicated point of contact for students who identify as Care Leavers on entry. The role aims to provide welfare advice and can signpost students to other services.
- The University of Surrey also offers Care Leavers a £1000 bursary on entry.
- The University of Surrey also prioritises care leavers for accommodation and offers 365 day accommodation for care leavers.
- The University of Surrey offers a global engagement study award for care leavers.
- Specific information for Care Leavers can be found on the student communities page www.surrey.ac.uk/student-support/student-communities and on our student hub ‘My Surrey’ campus.surrey.ac.uk/help/communities-and-inclusion
The University of Surrey is committed to continuously learning from other institutions and listening to the voice of students. We are committed to improving practice and provision for care leavers. In light of this:
- The University of Surrey is a member of NNECL and attends regional South East meetings held by NNECL. The University is committed to continually learning from best We are also keen to sign up the NNECL quality mark when it is launched in the higher education sector.
- We are committed to listening to the voice of students through establishing a care leavers student network and providing the opportunity for care leavers to feed back to the university about their experience.
We are working to improve:
- Our processes to ensure care leavers have one point of contact from offer to graduation.
- We are committed to ensuring our guarantor scheme is available to care leavers.
- We are committed to setting up a care leaver network.
- We are looking to expand our professional training year abroad bursary to care leavers.
We are looking into providing graduation grants to care leavers.
2. A Robust Employment Offer
Changes in development
- The University of Surrey is working closely with the careers and employability service to work on developing an enhanced career offer for care leavers. This includes a dedicated point of contact for care leavers in the careers service. It also includes prioritizing care leavers in The University of Surrey employability award. in addition to this we are developing partnerships with employers who provide routes into internships for care leavers.
- We are also working closely with the doctoral college at The University of Surrey to create a postgraduate studentship for care leavers. In addition to this the Doctoral college are keen to offer a postgraduate research internship for care leavers at the university.
Changes in development
- The University of Surrey’s Outreach team has approached Surrey’s Virtual School for Looked after Children, to develop a programme of bespoke and targeted activity for the care experienced young people they work with and their foster families.
- We are interested in creating community focused events in collaboration with the Surrey virtual School.