Greater Manchester Housing Providers (GMHP) is made up of 27 housing organisations including Mosscare St Vincent’s Housing Group who own and manage over 250,000 affordable homes in the area, housing over half a million of the city region’s residents.
The partnership, which offers support, funding and employment opportunities to the local community, signed a pledge to improve opportunities for hundreds of young people leaving care every year, including support to access a range of homes.
Pledge a range of homes
- Ensure young people leaving care have easy access to a range of accommodation that meets their needs.
- Ensure that young people know their rights and understand their tenancy agreement.
- Tailor our tenancy sign-up procedures to support young people to understand them fully.
- Prevent homelessness, we will support young people leaving care to sustain their tenancy, to learn the necessary skills to maintain a home.
- Work with our suppliers to provide furniture
Employment and Skills
- Provide offer work skills training, support into employment and apprenticeships to all our young people.
- We will offer an enhanced support package when a care leaver commences employment with us, such as a peer mentor.
- We will raise awareness within our organisation about the needs of young people.
Life skills and mentoring
- Support young people to connect with others who have lived experience, to encourage and promote their wellbeing.
- Support young people to connect with their community and to utilise local assets.
- Signpost young people to partners that offer a range of activities / events.
- We support young people to learn how to manage their finances and increase their Income fully