Central’s programme of support was established to ensure that care leaver students would be fully supported with holistic and practical support and academic guidance from the point of application until the completion of undergraduate study. Central provides this tailored programme to students on a case-by-case basis including financial, academic and pastoral support.
The bespoke nature of the programme ensures that each care leaver student has control over the type of support they receive.
We understand that the application and registration process can be particularly stressful for care leavers and we have a range of support available:
- A nominated member of staff who can act as a key point of contact for care leavers. The point of contact will be able to refer applicants to our various support services.
- Accommodation: Central has an allocation in the University of London’s Intercollegiate Halls. There are also several private Halls of Residence close to Central. Students also rent in shared houses with other Central students and we run Sharers’ Days to help people with this process. We would encourage you to contact Central’s Student Advice Service for accommodation information and advice.
- Finance: We have a bursary for care leavers of £1000 per academic year. This fund is to contribute to living costs and costs associated with studying. This is split into two payments of £500 a year and students are in control of when they want it.
- We also recognise that graduating from University can be an anxious time financially and offer a £500 exit bursary to support the transition of student to graduate.
- Central offers pre entry support on a case by case basis – working with each applicant individually to offer the most appropriate support.
2. A Robust Employment Offer
Central values, embraces and is dedicated to equity, diversity and inclusion. Our mission is contingent on a diverse and inclusive student and staff body, bringing richness, knowledge, innovation, new understandings and skills.
We encourage our care leaver students to join our Student Ambassador Scheme, which offers ad hoc paid employment on our Saturday Youth Theatre, summer schools, outreach and recruitment events.
Central works with the Drive Forward Foundation to support graduating care leavers with career advice, support and mentoring.
Central can offer arts administration work experience on a case-by-case basis. As we are only a small institution, we do not have a work experience programme. However, we do encourage enquiries for one or two week work experiences outside of term time – over the Easter holidays, July and September. Due to our size, we can only take one student experience student at a time.
Please note that the offer is for arts admin experience only.
How To Access Employment Offer
We can offer 1-2 weeks of work experience and will consider enquiries on a case by case basis. Care Leavers are encouraged to contact Victoria Edwards for further information.
Through its Outreach Programme, Central offers free tickets to all of its shows to partner organisations, school and colleges. This will be extended to all care leavers and can be advertised on the Care Leaver Covenant app and Central’s care leaver website page. Central’s shows run every term and details of performances can be accessed on our main website. We also offer free audition vouchers to care leavers who audition on any of our acting courses. Further information can be found on our website: www.cssd.ac.uk/audition-vouchers