We Barking and Dagenham College will demonstrate our commitment to the care leaver covenant through the following actions:
- Providing Care Leavers with additional and early support during the transition period including; a dedicated contact for support and advice during the application process, transition taster sessions, pre-entry access to Careers and Student Finance advice and guidance.
- Providing Care Leavers with additional pastoral support throughout the student experience with named advisers in key services who offer information and one to one advice and guidance. These include Counselling and Wellbeing, Careers and Employability, Student Finance and Opportunities Support.
- Giving Care leavers up to and including the age of 21, access to Free Breakfast, Free School Meals and Emergency Travel Support where required and eligible.
- Provide named, dedicated Opportunities Support for LAC/Care Leavers who are able to provide one to one support, advice and guidance for Holistic issues impacting on College life and provide motivational dialogue to support individuals to achieve their full potential.
- Providing Care leavers with access to named student Ambassadors and Mentors to assist their transition to Further Education and ensure their progress on course.
- Providing Care Leavers with awareness, support and assistance in applying for the Higher Level Bursary with a reduced leniency on the College Attendance Policy from 90% to 75%.
- Making Care leavers exempt from or providing additional financial support for assistance with Uniforms, Kit, Trips, Text Books, DBS fees and External Body registrations.
- Giving Care Leavers employment opportunities through our real work environments, work experience, paid projects through ‘Aspire’, internships, traineeships and apprenticeships.
- Providing care leavers with opportunities for personal development by guaranteeing places on our Princes rust and V Inspire programmes.
- Providing emergency accommodation, clothing and funds for Care Leavers where there are concerns around Safeguarding or Homelessness.
- Providing care leavers with opportunities to broaden their horizons/experience new things by encouraging them to access the comprehensive enrichment programme, organising trips, activity events etc.
We will publicise our commitments on our website, setting out how we will seek to put them into practice; and inviting feedback from care leavers on their impact.