For 140 years, the RFS has dedicated itself to sharing knowledge on the art and science of woodland management so that the accumulated wisdom and experience of landowners, foresters, arborists and others is transferred from one generation to another.
RFS Forestry Roots is funded by the ALA Green Charitable Trust whose core principle is about inclusion regardless of background, gender, religion, disability or financial circumstance. Forestry Roots offer 7 paid traineeships each year to young people wanting to take their first steps into a career in forestry or arboriculture. Each trainee receives:
- 12 months employment at the National Living Wage
- A £2000 training budget to gain the necessary skills and qualifications to gain permanent employment.
- Up to £300 expenses towards the cost of starting a new job including workwear, transport and accommodation costs.
- 12 months membership of the RFS including opportunities to attend a wide range of meetings and events.
Support for care leavers:
- Guaranteed interview for all care leavers who meet the essential criteria for the position.
- Transport costs for interview can be provided in advance or reimbursed.
- Detailed post interview feedback for unsuccessful candidates on the next steps they could take to gain employment in the forestry sector.